Updates on Sewing Up My Fabric!
Since I originally posted my description of this blog, I have somewhat erred from my intention. I have actually bought much more fabric than I had but ................. in my defense, I got the solids at 50% off and the quilt shop fabric at 75% off, so that doesn't count, right? LOL
Sunday, January 25, 2015
Sunday, January 18, 2015
As soon as the RSC15 January color of the month was announced, I pulled out my three plastic drawers full of blue fabric sorted in Ziploc baggies. This fabric is anywhere from 15-30 years old and they were all less than a FQ except for one. I used to have them sorted just by color, then I found I had trouble finding a few pieces of the same fabrics, so I sorted them by like fabrics and put them in baggies at least 10 years ago. I rarely used them.
Then I sorted them by value. Light, medium and dark. I found out that I also had a good bit of turquoise that isn't in this picture. I set the light and dark aside and started on the medium blues. After I made my two sawtooth stars, I started cutting my fabrics into precuts.
I emptied about 45 baggies of blue fabric and cut it up and the result was a good stack of 10" squares, 5" squares, 8-1/2" squares, 2 FQ, some 2-1/2" strips and a bunch of 2-1/2" squares. Now I will be able to use them.
Now I am left with this pile of strips and snippets to make new blue fabric!
Since I had plenty of 2-1/2" squares, I decided to make rainbow scrappy hearts. I don't remember where I got the pattern. I plan to continue this with each color announcement throughout the year.
This was also a good opportunity to work on my bottled rainbow quilt that I started a couple of years ago. http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/02/bottled-rainbows-ticker-tape-quilt.html This is the link for the bottled rainbows if you are not familiar with it. You can also search for images of bottled rainbow quilts. I just love looking at them!
Sunday, January 11, 2015
I decided to use the no-waste flying geese method. I thought and studied it and still cut the wrong fabrics for the geese. I should have cut a black 7-1/4" square and four 3-7/8" print squares for the star points. What a difference color makes!
Instead of making a 6-1/2" designer block for the center squares, I have decided to sew up my blue scraps to make a 6-1/2" square.
I am really looking forward to this year's scrappy challenge. I hope to get a lot of my fabric sewn up!
Monday, January 5, 2015
Well......................this is supposed to be my sawtooth star block for the RSC15. I was pretty proud of my made up fabric center square. I thought so hard about the fabric for the star part. I used the no-waste flying geese method and I use my fabrics in the wrong place, so the star is invisible. I guess there is a name for this block. I will probably make another one as soon as possible. I will get it right this time!