Updates on Sewing Up My Fabric!

Since I originally posted my description of this blog, I have somewhat erred from my intention. I have actually bought much more fabric than I had but ................. in my defense, I got the solids at 50% off and the quilt shop fabric at 75% off, so that doesn't count, right? LOL

Sunday, August 14, 2022

REALLY???? Has it been 8-1/2 months since my last post!

 Oh yes!

 It has been 8-1/2 months since my last post. Oh my!

Why Wait?

Why do some of us wait so long to post our hard work on the blog?  I guess it is different for every one, but my excuse is that I was so sure I could just whip up these UFOs in a flash that I kept saying to myself that when I get them all done, I will post!  The reality is that sometimes it takes a while to get them pieced, quilted and bound.

What have I been doing?

I have only been working on UFOs. I totally underestimated the time needed to complete them. I have only added three UFOs to my list recently and they are from my big book of UFOs! I have totally resisted new projects. If I see something I really like, I take a note of it, and move on to my UFOs. At the rate I'm going, I don't think I will be able to start anything new until at least 2024!

Below is a list of what I accomplished so far this year. The ones that are not completed, don't like much to be finished.


Applique baby quilt. I started this thing almost 20 years ago. I would have scrapped it but I already had all the fusibles ready to stitch down.  I got a little amused at the appliques because one of them was a thermometer. No one uses that type anymore!


Turning Leaves
This was a pattern from Quiltmaker's Magazine Sept/Oct 2002
Well, that only took 20 years to finish!


Shiny Happy Faces

This was a block of the month from Wendi at Shiny Happy World.
I think I started it in 2020. I got all of the blocks quilted and then stopped. This was the first one I started on this year. It took way, way more time and effort than I expected. It's cute, but I don't care for the method, so I won't be using that technique again. I wanted to try it because I had seen it on other posts and wanted to see if I would like  it.  It's called Quilt as You Go but after you quilt all of the blocks, you have to sew them together and then put a backing on it and straight stitch them down. So there is more quilting in the end.



2012 House Quilt
LQS Saturday Sampler

This one wasn't too intense. I just needed to sash the blocks and make the flying geese. There were a lot of flying geese. 


I used my leftovers to make the backing.


Stitch a Year of Stars with Natalia Bonner

Natalia's quilts have a lot of dense quilting. I was a little intimidated as always with her quilts, but I stuck with it and gained more experience with free motion quilting.



Starry Pines
2002 Workshop on "No-Waste Flying Geese"
The Quilter's Attic - Pine Bush, New York

The workshop  included the new "tool", instructions, and a packet of fabric to make a small lap quilt. I enjoyed it so much that I went back and bought more fabric to make a biggr one! That was my mistake because it got set aside until this year. I had half of them sewn and all of them cut. There were a whole lot of flying geese! I was really getting tired of flying geese by the end.  


I used leftovers for the backing.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I know it was long. I will try to post more often in the future.  Now I can carefully move on to the next UFOs!




6 comments:

Jan said...

I love the Turning Leaves quilt - beautiful colours! I smiled at your post with all those UFO's, I have so many to get done.

ButterZ said...

They are such beautiful quilts. I am so glad you got to finish some no matter how long you have been working on them.
Take your time. Work on what makes you happy. Maybe do a post of your least liked UFO’s and get your followers opinions. They might not be as bad as what you think. Keep on sewing.

OPQuilt said...

Wow!! I am impressed with your quilting, your stitching, and finishing all those projects. I did laugh at the thermometer block -- now you can call them matches to light the candle to sooth the baby, or something. So many of these remind me of some of the projects I've done; we can chart our course through our quilting lives by what we make, can't we?

So many wonderful quilts--congratulations on finishing them all!
Elizabeth

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Your quilts are just beautiful! Would love to see more blog posts from you :) xx

Fairy Qu33n said...

I love the one with all the animals. It's so beautiful!! you're so good at sewing. I'm only a beginner. I see all these wonderful quilts and I'm not so good. I'm a disaster.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Pamela, I hope that you'll write more posts - your quilts are really lovely! I had to laugh when I saw your leaf quilt - it was one of the magazines that I bought way back then. I never did make it. Feel free to link up to Free Motion Mavericks the next time around. We'd love to show off your FMQ!